Monday, November 10, 2008

Na-Adjectives and I-Adjectives

"Na" adjectives behave just like nouns, and are "conjugated" the same way.
See my post "Nouns" for reference.


PositiveNegative
Presentじゃない
Pastだったじゃなかった

You put these after them, to use them like objects, i.e. "[the|this|that] (noun) is (adj)"

The sky is blue.
です


They are adjectives, though. And they describe. You can place them before the noun. If you use the present positive (plain) form, you put な(na) before them.

I like the big sky.
ビッグな気に入る





I-adjectives end in い. You conjugate them like this:


PositiveNegative
Presentくない
Pastかったくなかった

NOTE: You CANNOT use them with だ / です . If you use them like "(noun) is (adj)", but you just put it after the noun; you don't put da/desu at the end.

The building is tall.
ビル。

The building was not tall.
くなかったビル。


They can be used in combination with nouns, too, like so:

I like the blue sky.
気に入る

0 response(s):

Post a Comment