Friday, November 7, 2008

Nouns

I have had a little bit of a fit with trying to get my words sorted... so I'm kinda behind on posting, though I have several ready to post... forgive me.

With nouns, you can express present/future* and past, and positive and negative.
*note that there is no "future" tense in 日本語; you specify the time, if you need to.

These are "is" "isn't", "was", and "wasn't".


PositiveNegative
Presentじゃない
Pastだったじゃなかった

Note that だ can be pronounce all kinds of ways in different parts of Japan... an alternative that is used more often is です。

(It) is water.
です

(It) isn't (a) mountain.
じゃない

(It) was (a) fish.
だった

(It) wasn't (an) apple.
りんごじゃなかった


If it's not used at the end of a sentence, you don't use だ or です after it.

A fish can swim.
(fish swims, it can.)
泳ぐことできる

(I) want some water.
欲しい

0 response(s):

Post a Comment