Sunday, October 26, 2008

Solving the Riddle

I finally solved a problem with a Japanese word I had found!
I've been battling it forever. It's hard to find the meaning to conjugated verbs on the internet. Especially if you're not familiar with every single conjugation.
So, I've been battling this one,
by the name of 命じられた. That's meijirareta for you English folk.
And I'm not totally helpless- I know what 命 is.

命じ(る) is the verb "to command".
That's all I could gather. But no one would elaborate on "-rare-", and you can't exactly type it into search engines, unless you're looking for something, well, "rare". So I was stuck.

Turns out, to conjugate a verb in passive voice (perform v. be performed), you simply drop the ending infinitive U from RU for A and add RERU. That gives you 命じられる!
Which isn't the same, of course. But past tense you replace RU with TA.
And the end result? "was commanded": 命じられた.

So... maybe I should stop relying so much on kana for conjugation; it seems sound can change, and rearrange them.

I'm so proud of myself -- or rather, I feel much less stupid now.
And that's how it happened. The end.

0 response(s):

Post a Comment