Monday, January 26, 2009

Hammer-ons and Pull-offs

These two techniques constitute some of the "real" things good guitar players know. I'm getting better with them, and hope to have a more broad reach of things to learn.
(i.e. more fancy stuff!)

I can now play "twinkle twinkle little star" with them alone, albeit rather clumsily.

Learning to pluck the string with your left hand too means you can play more notes faster - this can double your finger-picking speed.
I'm still getting the hang of pull-offs... They're kinda tricky.
I looked up how to do these two recently - They're the type of things that have to be learned in person. That's why I've fallen behind on technique - no teacher.

But I found a solution: YouTube. As much as I hate mindless YouTube videos by random nobodys, I did find useful stuff.
So my lesson is learned - in effect, never judge a book by its cover.
Same applies to videos and what they appear to be.


In other news, I have been looking at Guitar Hero songs to learn.
I have the whole of GH III audio and I think I'm going to put it on my iPod.
That will get interesting. I'll be sure to find the ones I want to learn.

Considering the fact I haven't really yet learned a song my electric guitar was meant for, I think it's about time to rock. :)

2 response(s):

Andrea said...

my brother plays acoustic guitar. He knows hammer ons and pull offs. hes quite good... lol it took him forever to learn them though. But now hes in his own band so I guess things turned out good for him. Hope your able to get the hang of it like he did.

PlasmaRob said...

Thanks - I'm getting there. I can't do fingerpicking guitar solos, but I can most everything else... I've taught my self, so it's slow work...

btw Andrea, did you get my email? I was curious what you had to say...

Post a Comment