Friday, January 9, 2009

iKnow's Dictation

There's a thing I hadn't yet noticed on iKnow that I tried using...
I couldn't figure out how to open it, but now I've started playing with it.

It's called "dictation". It gives me a word or two missing in 10 sentences, and gets me to fill in the pronunciation. Easy enough, huh?
The second half is each of the sentences entirely blank. I have to learn how some of the longer words in the sentences are spelled... it gets rather tricky - even frustrating. It gives you 3/4 chances to make a mistake or ask for a hint, though.

I'm still playing with it - I don't know if I'll keep using it... it might help train my ears, though.

We'll see. I do need work on listening/comprehending. I think I'll do better once my vocabulary course is "complete". It's at 44% completion right now.

Latest words:
電車 - densha - train
自転車 - jitensha - bicycle
探す - sagasu - to search for, look for
紙 - kami - paper
歌う - utau - to sing
遅い - osoi - slow, late


densha/jitensha would be very confusing w/ their rhyme, if it weren't for the fact that I already knew densha.
I practiced 言う - iu - to say/tell today.
It's the companion to "to speak" - 話す - hanasu...
I found this "say vs. speak" pair confusing in spanish once upon a time...
to speak - hablar - 話す/hanasu
to say - decir - 言う/iu

0 response(s):

Post a Comment