Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mental Language Barriers

Today was nuts when it came to language.

I was studying my Japanese.
I got into that mindset and I noticed I'd come a long way when it came to vocabulary.
My grammar has improved a bit, also.

This was at church... not long after, I somehow ended up speaking with someone from the Spanish branch that shared the building... oh, and she spoke no English.

That's right - I had an entire conversation in Spanish! It was weird. I've never done it before - it was far easier than I expected. MY comprehension is very high, even though I have so little vocabulary. She noticed some of my Japanese stuff , and we briefly spoke about Japanese in Spanish.

Afterward I thought my head was going to explode... I had so many layers of language and grammar in my head I was losing it.

That's all I dealt with today reaffirming and recognizing things I already knew...
I haven't used much Spanish in years - for some reason thinking in three languages gives me a headache. Just writing this is causing it again.

The important thing is that I have never spoke in Spanish to someone to doesn't speak English. I was kinda scared. It took getting used to. I learned a lot from it, though.
Behind the language barriers, we're all the same people.

0 response(s):

Post a Comment