Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gradient Maps!

Today will be more show than tell.
What is a gradient map might you ask?
Just the most awesomest thing in the world!
Awesomest is my new favorite, word. lol...
If you go layer> new adjustment layer> gradient map...> you can apply a gradient map to an image. A gradient map takes the brightness of an image from darkest to brightest and lays a gradient over everything based on that. If you set its blending mode to soft light, when you change the gradient map you'll see all kinds of different "lightings" or "moods" to an image. A gradient map is like a photo's mood ring... lol...

This one has a purple-green-orange gradient map. I personally colored the sky red.

If you make a new layer on top and set the blending mode to hue, you can manipulate colors as you wish.


This third one I changed everything this way, on multiple hue layers.













To get the surreal glowing look to each of these, at the beginning I duplicated the background, and used filter> blur> surface blur on it, with a radius of 8 and a threshold of 97. I set its blending mode to screen.
On the second of these I used a blue-green-yellow gradient.

2 response(s):

Andrea said...

lol I like the pictures. my favorites are the second and fifth. good job

PlasmaRob said...

The first and fifth are originals - come-with-vista wallpaper.

I couldn't decide between the second and third, so I posted them both. I was just illustrating the whole gradient map/glowy trick

Post a Comment